Experience St Lucia KZN Estuary Boat Cruises
St Lucia KZN Estuary Boat Cruises
St Lucia KZN Estuary Boat Cruises are the most popular activity in this South African World Heritage Site, Isimangaliso Wetland Park.
St Lucia KZN Estuary Boat Cruises – Where?
There are a number of tour operators in St Lucia, Zululand. Boats operate from either:
- Sunset Jetty at the south end of town off Mckenzie Street.
- Siyabonga Craft Market Jetty by the concrete bridge at the town’s entrance.
St Lucia KZN Estuary Boat Cruises – When and duration of cruise?
Depending on the Tour Operator departure and arrival times can vary slightly. Most run about 4 -5 cruises daily for a 2-hour duration. During winter the sunset cruises are scheduled for 1600 hours.
St Lucia KZN Estuary Boat Cruises – What to experience?
- With an estimated 800 hippos and 1000 crocodiles inhabiting the estuary, pods of hippos are seen regularly and crocodiles often sighted. Most tour operators are so confident on hippo sightings they offer pay backs if these animals are not seen.
- With 70% of South African indigenous trees thriving in the area you will experience a wide variety of bird sightings.
- Being so close to nature you will sense tranquillity and relaxation on the cruise.
- There are sections of mangrove forests alongside the banks of the estuary. Wait patiently to see the Fiddler Crab with its one huge coloured claw alongside the estuary banks.
- Photographic opportunities abound of wildlife and landscapes.
St Lucia KZN Estuary Boat Cruises – Types of boats.
Depending on their size 15 – 80 people can be accommodated. The smaller boats have single decks, whereas the larger have two, with the upper deck open to the elements. The open deck however allows for an unhindered 360 degree views. Most are wheelchair friendly.
St Lucia KZN Estuary Boat Cruises – Other activities and advice.
Seasonal Whale Watching Tours and Turtle Tours are extremely popular. When traveling in Zululand we recommend the KZN Travel Guide App. Here is an extensive and comprehensive travel guide on St Lucia KZN. Please be conscious of littering and plastic pollution in Zululand.
The WEB WRITER is certified with S.A.Tourism as a “South African Specialist”. This means they are experts in South African Travel and entitled to use the term and associated logo when giving advise.