Sodwana Bay iSimagaliso Wetland Park Zululand
Sodwana Bay iSimagaliso Wetland Park
Sodwana Bay has a beautiful soft sand beach with a rock outcrop to the south. It is situated in KwaZulu Natal in a South African World Heritage Site, iSimagaliso Wetland Park. 355 kilometers north of Durban and 190 kilometers from Sizzle City Richards Bay via the N2 highway and a short distance on the R22 from Mbazwana. It is also situated within Sodwana Bay National Park.
It is the only recreational scuba diving area in iSimangaliso Wetland Park classified as one of the top dive sites in the world. Claims are made that about 35 000 scuba divers visit this spot per year. Also snorkeling in the shallow bay and rock pools is very popular.
This Zululand reserve features various popular dive sites with a great diversity of underwater seascapes, marine flora and fauna, corals, beautiful overhangs, drop-offs and mushroom rocks.
Sodwana Bay iSimagaliso Wetalnd Park – Climate
The area has a sub-tropical climate with mild winters and hot summers which is the rainy season. Hot and humid days are experienced from about November until February.
Sodwana Bay iSimagaliso Wetalnd Park – Activities
Besides diving, snorkeling and enjoying a beach environment there are a number of other activities:
- Whale watching is seasonal and available with one operator holding a permit.
- Turtle Tours are again a seasonal experience. (In St Lucia there are also whale watching and turtle tours available).
- 4×4 Beach driving is only allowed on weekends and all public holidays for a distance of 4 kilometers north of the bay. It is one of the only beaches in South Africa where you can access via your 4×4 vehicle.
- Annual photographic event known as the iSimangaliso Sodwana Bay Shoot Out even attracts international participants.
- Sodwana Bay is only 190 kilometers from Richards Bay Airport.
- Microlight Flights are available over the ocean and Lake Sibaya.
- Game viewing within a short distance specifically Tembe Elephant Park boasting the Big 5.
Sodwana Bay iSimagaliso Wetland Park Article
The WEB WRITER is certified with S.A.Tourism as a “South African Specialist”. This means they are experts in South African Travel and entitled to use the term and associated logo when giving advise.